Foods That Your Cat Must Not Eat

Table of Contents

Foods to Avoid?

We think cats know what’s best for them when it’s time to eat because they’re such picky eaters. However, just because they’ll avoid a piece of rotten meat doesn’t mean they’ll avoid an open can of tuna. That can of tuna, on the other hand, can be just as dangerous. In fact, some of the common foods your cats should never eat may shock you.

Raw Eggs

Giving raw eggs to your cat has two disadvantages. The first is the risk of food poisoning caused by bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli. coli. The second issue is a rare one in which avidin, a protein found in raw egg whites, may interfere with the absorption of the B vitamin biotin. This can lead to skin issues as well as coat issues in your cat.

Meat and fish raw

Food poisoning bacteria can be found in raw meat and fish, as well as raw eggs. Furthermore, thiamine, a vital B vitamin for your cat, is destroyed by an enzyme found in raw fish. Thiamine deficiency causes major neurological issues such as convulsions and coma.

Food Dogs

A small amount of dog food will not harm your cat. Dog food, on the other hand, is not a suitable substitute for cat food. Many of the ingredients are the same in both. Cat food, on the other hand, is specifically designed for a cat’s nutritional requirements, which include extra protein as well as specific vitamins and fatty acids. Your cat may become seriously malnourished if you feed it dog food on a regular basis.

Liver

It’s fine to eat a small bit of liver, but too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity. This is a serious ailment that can cause your cat’s bones to deteriorate. Deformed bones, bone growths on the elbows and spine, and osteoporosis are all symptoms. Toxic levels of vitamin A can result in death.

Yeast Dough

Bread dough must rise before being baked. And if your cat ate it, that’s exactly what it’d do to his stomach. The dough can strain the abdomen and cause significant agony as it swells inside. Furthermore, as yeast ferments the dough to cause it to rise, it produces alcohol, which can cause alcohol poisoning.

Human Medication

One of the most prevalent causes of poisoning in cats is ingesting a human-prescribed medicine. Put all drugs out of reach of your cat, just as you would for your children. Also, only give your cat over-the-counter medicine if your veterinarian recommends it. Pain medications and cold medicines commonly contain ingredients like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. They might also be deadly to your cat.

Fat Trimmings and Bones

Fat and bones removed from meat and bones are frequently seen in table scraps. Cats may be at risk from both fat and bones. Fat, both cooked and raw, can irritate the intestines, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea. A cat, on the other hand, can choke on a bone. Bones can also splinter and block your cat’s digestive system or slash the inside of his stomach.

Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to cats. Although most cats will not eat it on their own, owners and others who believe they are giving the cat a treat can persuade them to do so. Theobromine is a toxin found in chocolate. It can be found in all types of chocolate, including white chocolate. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate, on the other hand, are the most deadly. Chocolate consumption can result in irregular heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and death.

Caffeine

Caffeine can be fatal to a cat if consumed in large enough doses. And there’s no way to get rid of it. Restlessness, fast breathing, heart palpitations, and muscular tremors are all signs of caffeine toxicity. Caffeine can be present in cocoa, chocolate, colas, and stimulant drinks like Red Bull, in addition to tea and coffee (including beans and grounds). It’s also found in certain cold and pain medicines.

Alcohol

Beer, whiskey, wine, and alcohol-containing foods are all bad for your cat. Because alcohol has the same impact on a cat’s liver and brain as it does on humans, this is the case. However, it takes far less to cause harm. A 5-pound cat can be put into a coma with just two teaspoons of whisky, and another teaspoon can kill it. The more proof there is, the worse the symptoms get.

You May also like:

Congestive Heart Failure in Dogs